Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
What is the treatment for a dislocated tibia?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hi my left tibia is somewhat dislocated and causes me pain when I walk and do squats (weight training). When I walk I get pain in the shin (tibia), calf, and Achilles tendon, and when I squat I get pain in my knee and sometimes tibia. I can also feel the top of my tibia moving when I walk sometimes. Please let me know what is the treatment for a dislocated tibia? Is there anything that can be done to get the bone back into its proper place? Thank you.
I not entirely sure what you mean by a "dislocated tibia." Is this your own diagnosis, or have you seen a physician?
Hi Dr. Gross. I believe my tibia is misaligned because I can feel that the bone has come out and I can feel it move when I walk sometimes. The doctor I went to just thought the bone was bigger, so I am going for a second opinion. My question is if it is misaligned, how can this be treated? Can it be moved back into its proper alignment?
There are operations known as osteotomies, the bone is broken and realigned, that are designed to correct this sort of problem. However, they are major undertakings, and they often have unpredictable results.