Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
What's happening to my calf muscle?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

What's happening to my calf muscle?

About 5 years ago I severed my achilles tendon playing basketball.  I had surgery to repair the tendon and after months of PT I was able to walk well and eventually run (basically returned to normal physical activity).  I'm 45 years old and although I workout at the gym quite regularly, I've noticed my calf muscle (and seemingly my entire lower leg) has shrank considerably.  It almost appears as if my calf muscle is attrifying.  Recently I've noticed a sort of numbing sensation in my lower leg and calf area.  It almost feels like I have to stretch it (especially when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep)...When I stretch it, it feels better for just a moment or two and then I have to squirm to a new position...only my right (the one I had surgery on) leg is affected and it's becoming more and more difficult to fall asleep at night...ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Since your calf has been alright since your surgery, 5 years ago, I dont think the atrophy and numbness is related to the injury, the surgery or the recovery.  Instead, I think the problem is secondary to a nerve injury, perhaps sciatica.  Often if incoming, nerve conduction is lost to a muscle, the muscle will atrophy. See a spine specialist for a thorough evaluation.