Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Wrist Pain after Boxing

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Wrist Pain after Boxing

About three months ago I hit a heavy bag and "slightly tweaked" my left wrist. I have been boxing for many years and it was just a fluke hit. It didn't hurt until a couple of days later. I rested it for a week and then went back to my usual workout. I was able to hit ok and without pain, but still felt that something wasn't right. A couple of weeks ago I had the wrist x-rayed and there was no break. I have fairly strong pain when I put weight on the wrist eg. using a chair arm to support myself while rising or trying to use a pulldown bar for tricep exercises. The pain is at the end end of the ulna and to the middle of my wrist. I can punch without pain but am worried about further damage. Any one else have the same problem? It's very annoying because it prevents a good workout.
I would try a wrist immobilizer, rest, and NSAID's for three weeks.  If the pain persists, I would suggest an MRI arthrogram of the wrist to rule out a tear in the triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC).  If there is a tear, the choice will be between further conservative management, and surgical repair.