Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
ankle cast removal/swelling & discoloration

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

right medial mallelous fx.  In cast for 6 weeks.  Removed 2 days ago.  I understand its normal for swelling BUT the discoloration (bluish/purple with white blotches) has me concerned.  yes the foot gets cold, so I know that circulation is playing a roll in it.  I am doing the ice and elevation.  I was only ever xrayed, could their be more going on?  It wasn't this color when it was in the cast,  now since its off.  Just unsure if this is 'normal' and how long will it do this?
The discoloration may simply be bruising, and swelling after cast removal is not unusual.  However, if your concerns persist, you should speak to, and see, your surgeon.