Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
ankle pain,purple,and swollen for 3months

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

well im 16 and my names vanessa and on aug.1st i woke up and got out of bed and when i stood my ankles gave out on me and i fell and hurt my ankle and i went and seen an orthopedic surgeon and he said it was just a sprain and put me in an aircast but its been three months and its purple painful to even walk on my tippy toes and swollen and it hurts along the right side of my right foot behind the little ball feelin bone that sticks out...and ive been havinf painful spasms or throbbing like pain on the top and side of my foot and i dont know whats wrong????
This sounds like you may have a fracture of the fifth metatarsal, the long bone on the outside of your foot. It is common to injure this bone at the same time as an ankle sprain.  The fracture can be missed on xray if only the ankle is xrayed, and not the foot.  You should have an xray of your foot as soon as possible.
ok thanks for the consideration and i did go get that xray of my whole foot and they said there was no fracture or broken bones in my foot...ive been lookin into it though i think maybe i tore my Peroneal Tendon because it  hurts bad where the the peroneal tendon is located...???
If so, you should be seen by an orthopedist, preferably a foot specialist as soon as possible
hey dr, gross i went to the orthopedic surgeon and he said he didnt see anything wrong with my foot in the MRI but if theres nothing wrong there shouldnt be pain or purpleness or swelling...i have an ace bandage on it and when i take it off my foot hurts worse then it does with it on and it turns bright red and then purple bluish...and i cant stand to even put my foot down...and when i walk it (clicks..pops) do u have any idea what this could be.... could the MRI be wrong?????
I have sweeling and a lot of pain in my right knee, i had a cortozone injection 4 days ago and the pain is worse and so is the swelling, i dont know whats wrong or how to fix it. any suggestions?
hey i just got diagnosed with a severe sprain but when i move my toes i feel it in my bone that pokes out of the side of my ankle and in the back of my ankle . they have me in a boot and i want it off !!!!!!! the right ankle is severely bruised and where i hurt it it is the size of half a baseball did they miss something. it happened this friday and i was taken to cambells clinic is it possible that the x ray was over looked .it hurts soooooooooo bad the pressure from the boot helps but it still feels like i have a thousand knives or hammers sending the throbing through out the toes all the way to my knee its like a yoyo .do you have any advice .there sending me to threapy for three weeks . im throbing soo bad right now
hey this is yoko i could use ur advice every time it is down to the ground it swells ,i move to much when it is proped up it swells ,and the area that is brused from where i landed on the concrete i cant bend it that way at all i stand full weight on it it really hurts and when i go to walk like that it wont bend forward on the ankle part .am i just over worried what ?im asking because it doesnt feel like no severe sprain ive ever had .it feels like when i fractured my radius this summer in my wrist.it feels identical!!! please i want it to stop throbing it just shoots pain from the ankle to the toes and back up to the knee.ive cried for three days please help me with some advice
A related discussion, Ankle pain in a 10 year old boy was started.