Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
bone cyst

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

bone cyst

I had an MRI done today and since I work at the hospital I got the report, is states
"there are lesions within the carpel bones which I believe are subchondral cysts.  These are in the distal scaphoid and in the promixal capitate.  I beleive there is a small dorsal wrist ganglion measuring 4-5 mm just distal to Lister's tubercle."  Can someone explain this and if this may require surgery.
If they are asymptomatic, they probably do not require further treatment.  Why was the MRI done?
The MRI was done because I had sprained that wrist and had an Xray and the Xray showed a cyst, so my dr. ordered an MRI.
In that case I dont think the cysts are a problem