Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
broken bone no fusion

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

broken bone no fusion

My sternum broke after bypass surgery and it has been 11 months ago. The break is between the 1st and 2nd segments. Since the end of the bone has healed and is completely separated in 2 pieces. What if anything can be done to join the 2 pieces of bones together?  I know this is normally a question for a thoracic surgeon but I am desperate for an answer. After all it is bone. Please help Thank You.
I imagine that is quite painful. If not already done, the two segments can be wired together, bone graft can be added, and/or electrical stimulation can be applied to induce a healing response.