Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
broken collar bone

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

broken collar bone

I'm a 48 y.o. male,normally very physically active,and normally in good health.
6 mo's ago I broke my left clavicle in a rollover accident here on the farm.
Broken in 5 pieces (some might call it smashed) the original treatment was a figure 8 brace,pain med's instructions to sleep sitting up,and was told i should heal fine in a few weeks.
After 2 weeks of terrible pain i was able to get in to see another orthopedic specialist for a second opinion,where the fig.8 brace was removed and i was told i should have been taken straight to surgery...but it was too late for that now.
At the 8 week point i was in physical therapy,and am continuing with therapy now.
At this point i am on ultrasonic bone growth stimulation therapy, for 2 months now,but with no obvious results radio-logically.
When I was given the bone growth stimulator I was told that this therapy might take as much as 9 mo.'s to work,and it's been 2 at this point.
I have been referred to another surgeon for yet another opinion.
Any feedback would be helpful!
In general, orthopedic surgeons have become more agressive with clavicle fractures, and the move is towards more surgery and less conservative treatment. Although I am not quick to operate on these, at this point it sounds like surgery might be your best option. The fracture site can be opened and grafted and a compression plate and screws can be placed,
I am not entirely sure why you were told it was too late to operate at two weeks post injury, as it would have been ideal then.  However, at this point I think surgery is still a very good choice, and should have an excellent chance for success!