Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
fractured thumb

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

fractured thumb
My son injured his thumb at baseball practice two weeks ago.  We took him to the doctor to get xrays and here is the diagnosis...there is an oblique, intra-epiphyseal, nondisplaced fracture involving the radial aspect of the proximal metaphysis of the proximal phalanx of the thumb.  There is a 1 mm avulsion fracture arising from the ulnar aspect of the proximal metaphysis of the proximal phalanx of the thumb.  There is soft tissue swellin of the thumb.  Otherwise negative.  

I showed his Xrays to another doctor and he said it really wasnt that bad of a break and now I am wondering if he could switch to some sort of brace or splint?  

Thanks,

melbabie24
Two disadvantages of splints and braces. They do not fit as well as casts, and they can be removed. I usually use a cast for the first two or three weeks, until the fracture gets "sticky". After that, it is a bit safer to allow removal of the brace for bathing etc., and for some of the motion that occurs in the brace.