Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
fractured thumb
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

fractured thumb

My son injured his thumb at baseball practice two weeks ago.  We took him to the doctor to get xrays and here is the diagnosis...there is an oblique, intra-epiphyseal, nondisplaced fracture involving the radial aspect of the proximal metaphysis of the proximal phalanx of the thumb.  There is a 1 mm avulsion fracture arising from the ulnar aspect of the proximal metaphysis of the proximal phalanx of the thumb.  There is soft tissue swellin of the thumb.  Otherwise negative.  

I showed his Xrays to another doctor and he said it really wasnt that bad of a break and now I am wondering if he could switch to some sort of brace or splint?  

Thanks,

melbabie24