Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
hip bursitis

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

hip bursitis

Would inflammation to the bursa sac show up in an MRI or X-ray?  I went to a chiropractor specializing in Active release tecnique He said it was Hip bursits.  Would physical strething and manipulation of the leg help this condition?
It can show up on a MRI, but not necessarily. The diagnosis is usually made clionically. There are various ways to treat it. Oral NSAID's, injected corticosteroids or PRP, physical therapy with stretching, deep tissue massage, and modalities, For chronic case, arthroscopic removal of the bursa can be done.
If I would do my own stretching and moving of my leg ( as I had done to me by the chiropractor)accompanying with Ibuprofin applying ice (after) and heat before exercise,  do you think that this would be a good way to start?  If this is unaffective I'd go to the doctor and see if I'd be a candidate  for a shot of cortisone.  

BTW  thank you for all your time.

sherry