Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
hip flexor injury

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

hip flexor injury

I have had intense pain for  3 months in the area of the hip flexor muscles. I have symptoms that indicate that it would be a hip flexor injury.  Would an MRI show the injured site? or is it possible that it's injury wouldn't show.  I had an MRI of my hip and thigh and they said it all appeared normal.  BUT>>>>>>>..THE PAIN  IS VERY SEVERE AND I CAN'T GET ANY HELP WITH THIS.

Is it possible that I have this injury and it didn't show up ( or they didn't find it)   I don't know where to turn to next.  I went to an Orthopedic surgeon who thought it was a muscle spasm but it's not and I went to a neurologist who thought it might be sciatica (but the symproms are not those )  
MRI of the hip and thigh would include the hip flexors. If this began with out an injury, I would explore other possible causes of the pain. One thing that come to mind is compression of the femoral cutaneous nerve. In the 70's this began to be known as "Schneider's Syndrome", named after a character on a popular TV series, "One Day at a Time".
If the source of my pain was the bursa sack of the hip being inflamed or filled with fluid,  how would this be treated?  Would an  MRI show bursitis? I'm in so much pain and every test has come up  negative.  I went to a chiropractor who is certified in A.R.T and this is what he told me.  All he did was stimulate the hip area and then quite forcefully was manipulating my leg.  What do you think about this procedure?
see next comment