Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
lump in finger 1 month after injury

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

lump in finger 1 month after injury

Hi--

I hit the outside edge between knuckle and first joint of my pinky finger against a hard object about a month ago. (I tried to vigorously shoo my dog out of the kitchen and whacked my hand on the tile counter)  It was painful but never showed obvious (to me) sign of breakage.  I had inflammation, pain, a small amount of bruising (I don't bruise easily) and it as been tender to the touch ever since.  I never had loss of motion, pushing back on the fingertip never hurt, I can make a fist, etc.  I now have a lump in that same spot, which tingles at times. It doesn't seem to be mobile--doesn't move around under the skin if I try to move it.  It's still tender if bumped.  It's barely visible when I look at both hands and compare pinkies; just looks like a bit of inflammation.   I'm in my 40's and use a computer alot, drive, throw balls for the dog, etc.

Thoughts?  Was it broken or cracked or is something else going on?
Doesnt seem like a cause for worry. If it persists, see your MD and have an Xray