Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
my bad Achilles Tendons/heel spur
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

my bad Achilles Tendons/heel spur

I have a history of achilles tendon problems on both feet. The problems have included tendonitis, torn tendon, and most recently on my left foot a "bone spur has developed under the achilles tendon sheath", at least according to my podiatrist (who is also an orthopedic surgeon). I spent the first 6 months of 2006 in a walking cast after the tear on my left tendon/calf muscle. I spent 6 weeks last fall in a walking cast again for the bursitis.

My left tendon/heel has been hurting so much for the past few weeks (I am used to occasional and consistently recurring pain after almost 10 years of this). I've been walking more lately but I don't run anymore. It seems I can't do any cardio-esque exercise without pain, even the recumbent bike. My podiatrist has talked about surgery as a final option but he said recovery is 9-12 months.

I'm wondering should I go back and see the doctor or just give up on exercise/cardio? I don't want to have to go through a 9-12 month recovery and I'm afraid if I do see my doctor again he'll really consider it.

Sorry for this long question. If it's important: I am only 23 years old.