Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
oblique tear of posterior horn

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

oblique tear of posterior horn
Hello
I had a workplace injury and i just got my MRI result which shows "There is oblique tear of posterior horn of medical meniscus, also There is a detached fragment of medical meniscus and we are dealing with a bucket-handle type tear of the medical meniscus. There is complete tear of the ACL and PCL is intact".
I am not a medical person and don't understand this terms doctor told me to do surgery. can you explain me in simple term and after surgery it will be normal?

Thanks.
Essentially, you have two injuries to your knee. The first is a torn medial meniscus, or a torn cartilage. The rest is a description of the shape of the tear. A bucket handle flops back and forth inside the knee, like the handle on a bucket, and can cause pain, locking, and swelling. This treated arthroscopically and will require either repair or removal of the damaged piece of meniscus.
The second injury is a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament, (ACL). The ACL is a stabilizing ligament that keeps the femur in concert with the tibia when your body twists on a planted foot. Depending on your age, activity level, and degree of instability, this is treated with surgical reconstruction, or Physical therapy and bracing.
Thanks doctor for your reply, my age is 40 and right now i can not make my leg straight and lock the knee it stays in bend position. i am more eager to know my knee will be normal after surgery?
your locked knee is likely caused by the bucket handle meniscus tear. this should be removed or repaired as soon as possible to avoid a permanent contracture. I would not recommend ACL surgery at the same time. That should only be considered when your range of motion has been restored