Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
recurring shoulder pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

recurring shoulder pain

ive been having trouble with my shoulder for about a year now.i get a really sharp pain in the front near my neck on the collarbone espsically when ever i reach for something quickly.and i also get a generalized pain across the top when i raise the arm to the side but can raise it to the front with no problem.when i reach for my back pocket the pain starts then as well.. tylenol and aleve does not help. was wondering if anyone else has experienced this
This sounds like rotator cuff tendonits and bursitis (impingement).  Patients typically describe pain when reaching overhead, pain with activities of daily living such as dressing and grooming, and pain at night that keeps them awake, or awakens them from sleep when the roll onto the affected arm.  
The rotator cuff is a group of four tendons that begin on the scapula (shoulder blade) and attach to the top of the humerus.  The are responsible for rotating the shoulder. Surrounding them is a bursa that protects the tendons as they perform their function.  
Occasionally, either from overuse or acute trauma, the cuff and the bursa become inflamed.  This causes pain and a loss of normal function.
Initial evaluation includes a thorough physical examination, and possibly xrays, to check for bone spurs, degenerative changes, and calcium deposits.  Initial treatment is usually with oral and injected medications, and physical therapy.  Further testing can include MRI.  If conservative treatment is unsuccessful, arthroscopic subacromial decompression is a very predictable procedure.