Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
recurring shoulder pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

recurring shoulder pain

ive been having trouble with my shoulder for about a year now.i get a really sharp pain in the front near my neck on the collarbone espsically when ever i reach for something quickly.and i also get a generalized pain across the top when i raise the arm to the side but can raise it to the front with no problem.when i reach for my back pocket the pain starts then as well.. tylenol and aleve does not help. was wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Related Discussions
700223_tn?1318169294
This sounds like rotator cuff tendonits and bursitis (impingement).  Patients typically describe pain when reaching overhead, pain with activities of daily living such as dressing and grooming, and pain at night that keeps them awake, or awakens them from sleep when the roll onto the affected arm.  
The rotator cuff is a group of four tendons that begin on the scapula (shoulder blade) and attach to the top of the humerus.  The are responsible for rotating the shoulder. Surrounding them is a bursa that protects the tendons as they perform their function.  
Occasionally, either from overuse or acute trauma, the cuff and the bursa become inflamed.  This causes pain and a loss of normal function.
Initial evaluation includes a thorough physical examination, and possibly xrays, to check for bone spurs, degenerative changes, and calcium deposits.  Initial treatment is usually with oral and injected medications, and physical therapy.  Further testing can include MRI.  If conservative treatment is unsuccessful, arthroscopic subacromial decompression is a very predictable procedure.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank