Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
unbearable knee pain after injury doc. unable to diagnose

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

my question is regarding my left knee,  I was injured about 6 months ago lifting something heavy. since then i have seen 4 doctors. i have had an MRI done and even exploratory surgery. my doctor said that the MRI didnt show anything wrong with my knee at all.  the doctor thought it could be the fatty pad behind my acl wedging between my miniscus and bone, he also told me every thing looked good insided my knee.. after my surgery my simptoms are still the same. they have prescribed all kinds of anti inflamatories and pain killers non of them work at all. the pain is unbearable when i stand or walk for more than 10-15 minutes. the pain reaches a level 10. and when i sit down it completly goes away in fact it feels like there is nothing wrong but as soon as i get up it comes back again.
The Pain
it starts inside the knee, along with a tingleing sensation along the outside, then it travels down the outside of my caff. after that it spreads to my whole knee and lower leg, the pain increases until i sit down or lean on something to take the weight of my leg. to me it feels like a pinched nerve because after the pain hits the max my whole leg gets numb. sometimes my toes or whole foot gets numb also.  I would like to know if someone knows whats going on. I would appreciate it a lot. the pain is too much im like an inmate at home i cant go to the mall or anywhere.
I would recommend evaluation of your lower back.  I think you might be correct when you indicate that the pain feels like "a pinched nerve".  An MRI of your lumbar spine and an EMG may be quite helpful.
Ask your Dr. to do a bone scan. This will show what is wrong. I had to learn the hard way.