? Osteonecrosis of femoral head
I have had a left metal on metal hip resurfacing nearly 9 years ago and over the past few months have been having groin pain when weight bearing (standing on left hip eg dressing), usually on left hip but sometimes on right hip after walking for more than 10 minutes. Xray revealed translucency under the inferior medial aspect of the femoral head. Surgeon mentioned possibility of osteonecrosis due to pressure on the bone under the prosthesis (I have bilateral hip dysplasia) Should I just accept this and wait for it to breakdown and then have revision surgery of total hip ,or should I have further tests to eliminate possible other causes and spread of this condition?
Hi there!

Translucency on the x-ray could indicate osteonectosis or demineralization. Management at this time would depend on the extent and severity of the condition, which may need to be determined/ confirmed with tests such as the CT. If severe, a revision surgery may be advised; while conservative management is preferred for mild cases. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!