Severe Thoracic Spine Pain
I’m a long time Med-Help member looking for some advice. I have a history of spinal problems, both lumbar and cervical, with the latter ongoing. I have had surgery for both. For the past several years, I’ve been dealing with very persistent and painful mid thoracic back pain. I’ve seen several Doctors about this and have had diagnosis’s ranging from intercostal neuralgia to Costochondritis. I’ve spent months in P.T. with no improvement what so ever.

The pain originates (I think) directly on 2 of the vertebra in my mid-back and radiates out from there, sometimes as low as my left flank and as high as the axilla. At times I experience constant muscles spasms in this area. Additionally, the pain bores right through my chest to my sternum, causing extreme chest tightness and pressure. It also will sometimes follow a rib around to the front. This pain is only on my left side, the same side as all my cervical problems. My lumbar problems were all on the right.

I’m not a big fan of Chiropractors however; I began seeing one recently thinking that she might be able to help me with this pain. I won’t let her touch my neck, but I felt it was reasonably safe to allow her to adjust my T-Spine. I never realized until I began seeing her how painful a couple of my vertebra are back there, and when she’s pushing on my spine, I’m getting a lot of tingling and other sensations going down both legs into my feet. I think I’m developing some numbness back there too, and at times I’m confusing this numbness with pain relief. Reason being, this pain is so awful, and constant, that anytime it doesn’t hurt, is a God sent to me.

I’m worried these adjustments aren’t safe, and I’m also concerned about a possible compression fracture more so than a disc problem because I know their rare, although I have had falls. I wanted a full spinal x-ray prior to any adjustments, but she seemed to think it wasn’t necessary. Do you have any thoughts as to what could cause the vertebrae to be so painful upon touch? And do you think it’s safe to continue with these adjustments, or should I just see a Doctor? My instincts tell me to see a Doctor.

Thank You for Your Time