Orthopedics Community
broken fibula, and ankle damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken fibula, and ankle damage?

6 weeks ago I broke my fibula about half way up, and did some ankle damage. I was in plaster cast for the first week, now I'm using the air cast. The fibula seems to be mending though still tender but my ankle is still swollen and painful to bear much if  any wait on it .  I still can't take any steps after 6 weeks, I'm not to worried about the fibula but the ankle deeply concerns me, My doc. sent me home after 6 weeks and asked me  to try and start bearing wait on it and to seem him on the 9th week., but the rear sides and back of my ankle are to painful to bear wait , could there be something wrong that needs better attention than what has been given? Is it normal to have ankle injuries that last up tp 10 weeks that didn't need extra attention like some kind of sergical (surgical) procedure?
How are you feeling now?
Most ankle fractures heal without incident, and the patient is able to return to normal activities. Distal fibula fractures that involve the ankle joint are by far the most common fibula fractures.
Pain and swelling usually are diminished in 1 to 2 weeks, at which time the patient is allowed to return to regular activity as tolerated. Full healing usually is accomplished by 6 to 8 weeks.
Generally, fibula fractures do well, and most patients have normal function at long-term follow-up.
I think in your case follow up is important especially now when you are having pain on weight bearing. Patients are followed at 1-month intervals with plain radiographs until the fractures are healed.
I think you should be consulting your surgeon back and get imaging study done to rule out any non-union or mal-union.
Keep me informed if you have any queries
Bye.