12 Year old with short acilles tendons and tendonitis
Hi there, new to this and wondered if any one can help. My 12 year old son has been diagnosed with short achilles tendons and more and more frequently is suffering from acute, intense pain at the base of his heel. Had him to the consultants yesterday and he said it is tendonitis, made worse by his tendons being short, but said that there was nothing he could do! He will just have to put up with it and try and stretch it out when he is not in pain. It is seriously affecting his life at the moment and at times is in tears with pain and unable to walk. Is there anything that can be done for this condition or does he just have to grin and bear it?

Hope you can help

Thanks, Gary
Hi Gary,

I hope to give insight about your son's possible condition. I would like to let you know that I'm not able to diagnose as I'm not a doctor.  I'm a Board Certified Pedothist who have been in the business for 8 years now.

You son may have a condition called Sever's Disease or Calcaneal Apothisitis.  The achille's tendon attaches at the base of the heel on a growth plate. It's commonly reported that children (mostly boys) between the ages of 9-13 sometimes complain of heel pain after rigorous activity.  Basically with every pounding step taken, the achille's tendon pulls at the growth plate in the heel causing micro tears that cause inflammation and pain.  The recommended solutions is a stiffer shoe to retard pronation, and an arch support or orthotic to also control the excess stress on the growth plate.  Stretching is always helpful for keeping things loose even if you don't have any foot problems.  Check with your local doctor or podiatrist to see if this is what your son possibly has.  The good news is that you son's pain will most likely diminish as the growth plates will develop.

Sincerely,

Anthony Allen, C. Ped.