13 weeks post microfracture swelling behind knee/ankle-is this normal?
Hi Dr. Gross,
I am recovering 13 weeks post medial chondyle microfracture and meniscus tear.  I have great range of motion.  No pain, but my concern is swelling behind the knee (baker's cyst?) that runs down into my ankle.  Is this normal for recovery?  I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks and then worked up to full wb -Im in my 5th week total weight bearing. I haven't been taking any anti-inflammatories, icing or elevating either, lately:(. I had extensive damage and  my doctor is being optimistic as I had microfracture 8years ago to my other knee (although nwb area, it was successful), so he's hoping I'll respond the same to this one-maybe it may just take a bit longer...The weather has also been bad these last few days-cold, warm, rain.  I'm hoping I just need to be patient.  I just saw my doctor 4days ago, and he said I'm responding very well and way above where I should be, but it's the swelling that were worried about:(  The swelling is horrible during the night and a few hours in the morning, but then wears off during the day.  I still notice it, but it feels like it shrinks or something after I stretch or exercise. It's always present and from my knee down always feels heavy. What do you think?

Thanks for your time,
RM40
Hi there!

The swelling is likely to be inflammatory or cystic in nature. It is however unusual for the swelling to run down to the ankle suggesting other etiologies such as vascular issues, infections, inflammation etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by your treating doctor to consider the possibilities and for appropriate management, if required.
Hope this helps.

Take care!