Orthopedics Community
2nd failed spinal fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

2nd failed spinal fusion

I got hurt on the job in August of 2005.  I had a laminectomy in Dec. 2005, went through many, many steroid shots including some under an x-ray machine.  I have had many CTscans, MRI's, x-rays, a mylogram, nerve induction test...etc.  In May 2007 I had a spinal fusion.  Went over a year with pain in which a CTscan showed my fusion failed.  On November 3, 2008 I had a revision of the spinal fusion from May 2007.  I found out last week, April 21st, that my fusion seems to be failing once again.  My orthopedic and I discussed another possible surgery but with 2 failed fusions and lots of scar tissue to go through..and about a 50-50 chance of another surgery failing, I don't think he thinks it's feasible.  I have nerve pain in my left leg...burns behind the thigh, stabs in the front of the calf and tingles my toes...constantly...I'm at a pain level of 7 to 8 constantly.  I have lots of pressure in my lower back and my quality of life just *****.  Is this something I will have to live with for the rest of my life?  Any suggestions or comments?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hi buddy,
low back is a real painful experience. I can understand your problem. Well, if you want, you can go for a second opinion. there are numberous causes of failed fusion and one of which is wrong / improper surgery, So take a second opinion, coz if the fusion fails,the remaining part if the life will be a real painful experience.

regards
Oh my. I see there are many on here with failed spinal fusions. I am so sorry, I know your pain well. Cara
reading all of this I have a feeling mine has failed I also had cervical discectomy and fusion  c4-5& c5-6 &c-6-7 is still herniated I'm in crippling pain daily mine is also a comp case that was not diagnosed in a timely manner and surgery didn't come till 2 years after herniation occurred so I know what your going through I cry from the pain it's so bad I've been given a 20 pound lifting limit for the rest of my life and can't come to terms with this is it for me I refuse to hear that from my surgeon IN NEEEEED OF DIRECTION

I have just come across your story and for the first time in 8 months have read that someone else has severe pain due to pressure (Feels like someone is squeezing you) in the lower back/Sacrum area.

I had a 2 level fusion last year, I am fortunate that I can bend and twist to a certain level but my biggest problem is this I have severe tightness/pressure build up, Can you tell me whether you have managed to resolve this pressure problem , and if you have how ?

I am sooo sorry to hear your story.  I got hurt at work Nov 2006 - blew a disc.  I tried everything possible for the next two years, but to no avail.  I was only out of work for 3 months, because they cut-off my wage benefits off right away.  Oct 2008 I had an Anterior Cervical Descectomy & Fusion with Instrumentation at C6-7, and a Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement at C5-6. None of my symptoms have improved.  My pain is 100 times worse than before the surgery.  The surgeon blew me off, and would say things like "we need to get you off the pain killers", but I would tell him the pain was so bad that I can't think.  Needless to say, I am so jacked-up on Opioid Pain Medicine now that I feel like my life is ruined.  Did the C6-7 level herniate after the fusion, or before?  If you go for surgery again, I would suggest finding someone who is legendary for fixing botched-up surgeries.  Let me know the docs name when you find him.