Orthopedics Community
3rd rotator cuff surgery needed...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

3rd rotator cuff surgery needed...

I have a full thickness rotator cuff tear at the site of the last repair (where they put the screw),
what would happen if I decide not to get a 3rd surgery? Refuse to see the surgeon
because I do not want to get back into the OR. Will my arm just stay the way it is now?
Hi Mickey,
How are you feeling?
I can understand that you might be down at this moment as after repeated surgeries you have not been able to treat you.
Well, if I am able to understand your symptoms, then I can tell you as to what should be the approach.
I think as per your post you should go in for repeat surgery as not only your present symptoms would persist but they would exacerbate too and cause further co-morbidities.
I would like to know what the actual symptoms are at present.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hi Jane,
Thank you for writing, over the past year and a half I have had open rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder, which now shows a pinhole tear at the site of the repair as of MRI done last March. I work as a custodian in a school, and the left arm has gotten much worse. However, its the right arm that really bothers me. I had arthroscopic surgery, then open surgery last April. Both arms now have screws. The right arm shakes pretty bad when I try to lift it and there is a full thickness tear at the site of the repair as of MRI last week. I did stop working Friday because of this. I get bad pain in the shoulder blade and across the top of my chest all the way up the front side of my neck. Also down the arm.
I cannot bear the thought of going thru another surgery and recovery, the previous surgeries haven't worked. I spent months in physical therapy where pulling on the weights and the band I know retore the shoulder. I just can't do this again.
P.S.
What is co-morbidities?
I think after understanding your 2nd post you should keep a brave heart and go in for surgery. I suggest that you should also discuss this with another surgeon and get a renewed advice.
At this juncture after knowing your symptoms you should be going in for surgery.
What I mean by co-morbidities is that due to initial disease in body it is possible that earlier disease would lead to new disease.
Bye.
sounds scary...anyway will contact Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, and send them my records. I understand it can take months to get an appointment, but I don't mind waiting!
Thank you.
Hi Mickey,
I think if the symptoms are annoying, then you need to consult the surgeon as early as possible.
If you feel that symptoms are not disturbing your routine work then it's fine if you wait.
Repeat surgery for same wound does sound scary, but this is the bright option which we have, hence we need to do go ahead with it.
Keep me informed about your surgery and your appointment too.
Bye.
Just to let you know, I spoke with Hospital for Special Surgery, they will see me next Friday.
Thank you for your help and I'll let you know what they say.
Mickey
Hi...I went to the new surgeon, says there is only 40% chance the new surgery will hold, then I will need a shoulder replacement. I am waiting for approval and for a new arthro MRI on the other shoulder. Question: How long will it take for side effects of my 2nd cervical injection to wear off? I had the 2nd shot on Feb. 18, spent a month eating like a fool, having flushing, forarms feel numb, hip pain, chest and arm pain. Cannot get in to see the Dr. until next Thurs. Saw my regular Dr. yesterday and he said do not get the 3rd shot, he thinks they cause more harm then good. I can say that instead of just the base of my neck hurting, now it hurts halfway down my back and am having pain along the right side of my face, from the temple to the neck. At least the eating binge seems to have righted itself. I have been the same weight for the past 5 yrs. or so, now in one month have gained 11lbs.! Will this shot wear off???? I hope it does not continue to get worse.
Had one 75percent tear in supraspinatus repaired in November 2011. I had symptoms again in June 2012, worked with for about a month, then went to doctor. At first he said I strained it, the finally I'd another arthrogram which found 2 full thickness terms in infraspinatus and supraspintus. i had open surgery in September of 2012. Had no problems until I felt a pop when pulling heavy uboat at work first night back after 2 week's vacation. Going to an orthopaedic Tuesday. My question is can a tear be repaired a third time, and what are overall chances of success?