Orthopedics Community
4 weeks post-op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

4 weeks post-op

Hello, I am 53, I had my total knee replacement April 2nd, 2013. I am 4 weeks since surgery. I felt post-op I was doing fairly well. My visits to physio are now 5x per week. My extension is less than 5 degrees and my flexion is 110 which the therapist informs me I'm doing excellent. My greatest concern is the pain I'm experiencing at night. I am very frustrated and getting very little sleep. As I read in other posts I also didnt recieve enough pain killers on discharge which led me to visit family physician to get a script but is only for twice a day. In between I take tylenol every four hours. My pain is behind the knee, pulsating down in to shin and lateral side of knee. It seems as long as I'm active and moving the pain lessens. As time progresses I thought this pain would lesson only to have it feel like it has worsened. Also when standing my leg becomes moltted with cyanotic areas around scarring but once I sit it clears. My pulses are fine. Is this a common issue? When does the pain lessen?
Hi there!

It is not uncommon to experience, pain/ discomfort after TKR. This is likely to be secondary to the inflammation associated with the healing process and muscular fatigue associated with the physical therapy and is expected improve over the next few weeks. Meanwhile it is advised to continue with the physical therapy to improve muscles strength and movement. Tylenol/ NSAIDS/ prescribed pain killers may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!