Orthopedics Community
4th metatarsal fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

4th metatarsal fracture

I have a fracture on the shaft of my 4th metatarsal. The fracture was caused during an accident on the trampoline (though i am not exactly sure how it happened) it is a non-dislocated fracture and i have not stepped on it for a single time for 3 weeks now. First two weeks i was put on a soft cast and now i am only wearing a compression anklet but still non weight bearing walking on crutches. The doctor told me i should gradually start stepping on it and exercising by moving my toes. however it is still quite swollen and i can not dare to step on it - nor do i remember how to!! if anyone has had a similar experience would be happy to hear your recommendations!
Thanks,
ayse
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Treatment is complete immobilization for 3-4 weeks.
For this you can have a below knee plaster or any other method.

Do make it sure that you go for an X-ray after 3 weeks and if required continue immobilization for another week, i.e 4 weeks.

After that you need Physical therapy.

Take care!