Orthopedics Community
5 1/2 months Post Meniscus Repair - Still in pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had a medial meniscus tear treated arthoscopically back in Apirl - left knee.  I'm 42 female and have always been very active.  Doc said 6 wks max and I would be back to 100%.  5 1/2 months later, the knee is still causing me pain, different but still cannot do any exercising and pain wakes me up at night.  I have been back to see the surgeon several times, and have had follow-up MRIs.  He cannot say for sure what is causing the pain.  He has said perhaps patella tendonitis, perhaps a deeper tear within the meniscus.  He wants to do a follow-up surgery to "figure out what's going on".  The latest MRI shows a shadow that could be another tear, or it could just be a shadow from the previous surgery.

My symptoms now include a weak knee that buckles/gives out at times, radiating pain around the top of the knee and down both sides of the knee cap.  There is a "nobby" on my knee that was never there before.  

I REALLY do not want to have another surgery "just to see if we can figure out what's going on".  Clearly, my knee did not react well from the first and I don't like the odds.  I know typically this kind of surgery is very straight-forward with few complications.  Could the pain be from a tendonitis caused by the surgery?  I feel like the whole leg is getting weaker from improper use.  I just want to be back to where I was before the surgery.  I can do little exercising, walking, biking all cause increased pain.

Any ideas?? Anything at all.  I have recently seen an acupunturist to see if I can find some relief there, but I really just want to know why it's still hurting and what I need to do to help it heal.

thanks so much,
M