Orthopedics Community
5 yr old got arm cast wet in shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

5 yr old got arm cast wet in shower

My 5 yr old broke his wrist two weeks ago.  He will have his hard cast on for four more weeks.  My genius husband wrapped a bag around it and put him in the shower.  Of course, the bag leaked and now the inside of the cast is wet.  It is not dripping wet, but damp on the inside.  Should I call the doctor about getting a new cast?  He only got it on last week.  
Tags: cast
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

As it is damp inside as water might have entered and the cotton and the material will soak water and there is every chance that it will not dry and a possibility of an infection it is always good to take him to the orthopedician for removing and recasting.

It all depends on what portion of it is wet?  Get him checked.
If it is a minor portion and it can dry using a hand drier it is fine.

Take care!
Thanks for your help.  It was damp by his hand and a little bit at the top above his elbow.  I used a blow dryer on it and it seemed to have dried up pretty well.  It could have been a lot worse.  I think it was just me over-reacting.  

Thanks again.
I'd say overreacting. Your "genius" husband was just doing the only logical thing by putting a bag over it.

It still got wet. It happens. Try to dry it out... If it does not work and you have weeks to go before it's removed, go to the dr to get it recast .