Orthopedics Community
5th Metatarsal Avulsion Fracture in 12 yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My son has a 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture which he got 2 weeks ago during a soccer game.  The sports medicine doctor put him in an orthotic shoe with inserts which he only has to wear when he is walking.  If he is relaxing at home in bed, he can take it off.  He was also not sure if the fracture had anything to do with his growth line but said he was going to treat it as a minor fracture.  So anyway, since my son plays competitive soccer it has been extremely hard for him to "not play" but he has been really good about following the dr's orders.  However, his team just made the playoffs and will be playing this weekend.  Does anyone know have any advice about him possibly playing if he properly wraps it and uses his prescribed shoe inserts?  I hate to see him sad and depressed about not being able to play.  I tried to get in to see the dr before the game but he is booked.  They are supposed to call me if they have any cancellations.  Any information would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
As your Doctor is treating your son as a minor fracture, it would be best to take some rest and follow Doctor’s advice. Your son is young and into competitive sports and hence he needs to be extra careful. Little precautions taken now will facilitate proper healing and prevent any chronic problems in future.
Hope this helps.
Hi there!

A fracture would normally take about 4-8 weeks to heal. 2 weeks is too short a time to get back to activities even though the fracture is minor. Avoiding rest and putting stress on the region could lead to non-union as healing is difficult after the first 4-6 weeks. I would suggest following your doctor’s orders strictly unless given a green signal by him/ her on evidence of adequate fracture healing.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your reply!
Thank you for your reply!