Orthopedics Community
6th vertabre that is not fused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

6th vertabre that is not fused

Recently I have had servere back pain and had to go to the ER. They took an X-Ray and said that I have an extra 6th vertabre that is not fused together and is more than likely pinching my nerves in my lower back causing the pain and that it is degenerative and that I will more than likely to have cronic (chronic) back pain for the rest of my life. He had a medical term for what this is called and I cannot remember it. If you could please tell me what this is called? Also is there any thing that I can do to comfort the pain without all the narcotic pain medicine? I.E. excercise,surgery, etc. Thank You for your answer.
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

The lower portion of the spine, called the lumbar spine, is usually made up of five vertebrae. However some people have a sixth lumbar vertebra.

Extra lumbar vertebra is actually the lumbarisation of sacrum.

You also might have some degenerative disc disease?

Get your X-ray commented by a radiologist and then for an MRI if required and follow up with an orthopedician.

Use proper ergonomics in daily living, take intermittent NSAIDs for the pain and practice yoga for understanding proper positions.

Take care!