Orthopedics Community
8 yr. old with distal radius hairline fracture
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

8 yr. old with distal radius hairline fracture

On thursday my 8 yr. old son fell from about 6 feet on the playground at school and landed with his hand bent under his arm and arm under him.  I took him to the dr. and they did x-rays and said he had a distal radius fracture, never saw the x-rays myself.  They splinted his wrist and set up a follow up with the orthopedic dr which was yesterday.  the dr. looked at the x-rays and said it was just a hairline fracture and told me i could take the plint off at bath time and come back in 4 weeks.  most all of the swelling has gone down but my son is in alot of pain even after 6 days of wearing the splint, sling, and keeping it elevated.  i am concerned because the ortho dr. didn't even look at his wrist or anything and even though its splinted (only on the botton of the wrist & wrapped with ace bandage) he can still twist the arm because the ssplint only goes half way to the elbow.  Since he is in a lot of pain ( to the point of tears) should i take him back to the dr., i kind of feel like they should have put him in a cast.  Please help, i don't like seeing my chilren in pain.

This discussion is related to wrist injury.