ACL Reconstruction hamstrting graft
I had an ACl Reconstruction on both knees. One knee used a patellar tendon graft and the other used a hamstring graft. My patellar tendon graft feels much stronger and more stable when I make cuts on a basketball court and it feels as though I am missing something in the hamstring where they took the graft. If I kneel down on both knees, I can raise the my heel near my butt on the patellar tendon leg, but it is so weak that on the other leg that I can hardly get it off the ground.
Also, if I squeeze both of my hamstrings while seated in a chair I can put my finger under the inside part of my thigh on each leg and it feels like the leg that had the hamstring graft is just missing a slice of the tendon that connects the hamstring muscle to the inside of the shin bone shin bone.
It has been years since both surgeries and I am wondering if this tendon ever grows back? And if it doesn't, are there any procedures to add any tissue to that tendon to get it back to full strength? I prefer the patellar tendon graft to the hamstring graft by a longshot. I would love to be comfortable cutting and turning on both legs again.
Hi!
I understand your apprehensions. Actually the type of graft is selected on the basis of requirement. If a bigger graft is needed to lend stability to the knee joint, then a hamstring graft is preferred over a patellar graft. Hence, may be one knee was more unstable than the other in your case and hence patellar graft was used in one and hamstring graft in another. Yes, I agree that hamstring graft can result in some weakness in the donor site area. Anyways, this is much better than bearing pain and instability of the knee. The graft does wonders for a person who was incapacitated due to pain/stiffness and instability of joint. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.