Orthopedics Community
ACL Tear and Meniscus/Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ACL Tear and Meniscus/Surgery

My husband was just told by his doctor that not only is his ACL torn but his Meniscus is torn also reqiring surgery. how soon can he expect to recover if he remains positive and does everything he can to assist with the healing?
what kind of surgery are they doing? is it a complete acl tear?
if they do only a scope (3holes 1cm long) than the recovery time is pretty short - he should be able to walk out of the hospital on his own (limping of course and with cratches, but mostly on his own)
if they will make an incision(i forget the lengh, about 3-4in) to repair the acl, than the recovery time will be a little more significant.
but a week after surgery make sure ur husbant starts doing therapy, even with your help at home.

he will be just fine.

good luck
my husband is having complete ACL repair and Meniscus repair. He will leave the hospital the same day
thanks
It has been a little less than 2 weeks since I had my ACL and Meniscus surgery. The first week was pretty rough but by the next week I am already walking with a cane (or nothing) with not much pain. It is very important to follow your rehab instructions and the sooner the better. This will help you to heal as well as prevent permanant stiffness and other complications. I too am wondering how long it will take and from what I have read the first phase takes 6 weeks. Then from 7-12 weeks for phase two of rehab. Then phase 3. From what I have read it takes about 6+ months for total recovery.

Good luck!
actually, this is different for every patient. it depends what kind of meniscus tear he has. they will actually have to determine during surgery with the camera in the knee if it can be shaved or actually repaired. if it only requires shaving down he can begin physical therapy for the acl right away. i had my surgery 6 weeks ago. i had a new acl and a tear in the meniscus, which required surgery on that part too. i am in a straight brace and unable to bend my knee for 8 weeks, other than physical therapy. hope this helps.