ACL and Meniscus Tears Before Surgery
I tore my acl and medial meniscus two weeks ago today. Actually, the acl was already torn and I didn't know it so the meniscus went out very easily when I twisted my knee too far. The first week I couldn't put any weight on it because it would buckle and I would fall. I am now able to put a little weight on it and can walk with a walker using both legs. I start physical therapy next Wednesday (3/9/11). The past two days my knee seems stiffer and has a little more pain than it did have. Is this normal and is it okay to be putting some weight on it? My orthopedic told me I will eventually need surgery and it's not something I had to have done right now.
Hello!

You cannot move around without a knee brace. You should also not flex your knee and you should not do any weight bearing on the affected leg.

It is better that you plan your surgery.

Your orthopedician should grade the ligament tear properly and if it is a minor Grade I injury then below knee cast for 8 weeks followed by physiotherapy would be sufficient.

For Grade III and complicated Grade II tears you would need arthroscopic surgical repair.

Take care!
Yes, it's normal for your knee to be stiff and sore after an injury like that.  It's good that you are going to start PT.  This will help your range of motion prior to surgery and help strenthen your quads, which need to be strong to help support the ACL.  Whether you decide to fix the ACL right away or not, the meniscal tear needs to be addressed with surgery.  It would be a waste of money and time- your time, your healing and your life- to go in for surgery and not have the ACL fixed at the same time you have your meniscus taken care of.  While it's true that you don't have to have the ACL reconstructed right away, or at all, you DO want that meniscal tear taken care of because it will rub on the bone and cause arthritis.  Good luck!
Thanks for the comments. It helped.