Orthopedics Community
Accidental Fractured Ankle and Collar Bone Recovery - Need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am from India age 25 year. Last month, I had Motorcycle accident. Had my fractured ankle surgery, But for collar bone my doctor basically convinced me to let it heal naturally and now you can still see where it sticks out (the fractured bone). I used work out in gym and Now, I am conscious about my recovery. whether I will be able to do gym normally or will there be any difference with sticks out collar bone fracture and how long will it take me to work out again.
Please help me.

Thanks.

Mad from India.

Hi there!

As for the ankle it is likely to heal within the stipulated time (4-6 weeks) after which you would be required to undergo physiotherapy, while it may take a some more weeks to regain normal strength and movement. For the collar bone if there was no surgery or reduction required, it is likely to heal with slight deformity at the fracture site (the prominence is likely to remain). You may like to consult your orthopedician regarding the healing progress.
Hope this information was useful.

Take care!
I had surgery 20 days before that is on 10th July 2011. since then I been looking for answer for my collar bone and its been 22 days. Now, I can see bit deformity at the fracture part and my ankle look fine. When everyday I go for dressing of ankle surgery part. But, I more concern about my gym. Will it be ok with deformity collar bone. while doing work out in gym after couple of months (within 4 to 6 weeks).

I really wanna go back to GYM and wanna see myself back again in mirror like i used to be.
If you want to I can sent you my collar bone X-ray.

Thanks for your replay.
Hi again!

The healing time for the collar bone fracture would be 4-6 weeks as well; while I would still like to give it full 8 weeks before one begins to take stress on the region (This would hold good for the ankle as well; depending on the healing process). The deformity is likely to remain. I would also suggest starting with lighter amount of stress before one can take a full load of stress. There are not many work-out exercises that put strain on the collar bone except heavy weight lifting, where again the weight is distributed by the axial skeleton. You should be able to resume your normal gym activities after you complete physiotherapy and are given a green signal by your doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!