Orthopedics Community
Achilles Tendinitis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Achilles Tendinitis

An MRI of my left leg to check for Achilles Tendinitis shows that the tendon is okay but there are small pockets of inflammation around the area where the tendon reaches my heel. I have had a couple of steroid shots but the relief is temporary (3 months) and now my orthopedic surgeon prefers not to give me any more shots. I am on a mild anti inflammatory drug to be taken orally every night. I am a woman, 54, and lead a very active lifestyle, which has been hampered by the pain and daily swelling in the area.  I believe PRP (?) helps but the cost in India where I live, is prohibitive. I"m worried about this become a lifelong problem, escalating as I age. Any more suggestions?
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Repeated steroid shots would not be advised since these could weaken the tendon or could even cause rupture. The best modality of treatment in mild-moderate cases is conservative rest and intermittent physiotherapy. Anti-inflammatory medications other than injectable steroids may help with symptomatic management. PRP treatment is also beneficial in most cases and is an option worth considering.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979