Orthopedics Community
Achilles Tendon Graft Surgery complication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Suffered Achilles Tendon Rupture while sprinting in March 2010 and had surgical repair in April 2010.  Tearing point is about 9cm from the heel and the gap was about 8cm.  A lot of graft was put in during the surgery.  I am currently having redness, swelling and pain in my lower leg and around the incision site.  There is drainage from the lower incision site, but recent culture report showed negative.  Recent MRI, suggested enlarged and thickened repaired tendon.  There is fluid and graft showed in the middle of tendon.  My surgeon, a podiatrist said, all my pain and swellin was caused by my body's rejection to the graft. He believes all the sympton will eventually go away, but he couldn't tell me how long it will take.  I had consulted with another orthopedic surgeon, he believes I need a second surgery to clean everything up inside and if there is no infection going on, he would attached a tendon from my big toe to my achilles to make it stronger.  However, both doctors are concerned about the wound complication if undergo second surgery.  Could someone please tell me what to do?  Or are there any other treatment plan I could follow to ease my pain and swelling while waiting?  Many thanks for any of your inputs.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If your wound is infected then you would need proper antibiotics to clear the infection.

If you have a danger of graft rejection then you can take immunosuppressant medications for which you have to discuss with your surgeon. With these medications the dangers of infection is also more.

Discuss all modalities and maintain complete hygiene and take the best decision after a second opinion.

Take care!
Hi i had my second surgery last monday (cleanup) because portion of the graft that was put on during first surgery was being spat out...the wound was not healing at all, i was on KCI VAC for a month, that did help one of the wounds to close but another one popped open because of the graft rejection...also since the wound was open for more than 6 plus months, it was infected...i had surgery on may 17th and i am still not healed...i have been put on hard cast for 4-6 weeks again..saw doc today, the infection has cleared up but two wounds are still open....if they dont close in a week or two, surgeon may perform xenograft...hope this helps...u r not alone...
I had my achilles tendon repair back on March 28, 2012.  But soon after the sutures were removed I developed an infection.  About 2 1/2 weeks after my first surgery they did a debridment and now I have a hole in the back of my leg that has not healed for months.  I had one wound surgeon give up and told me good luck with that as he escorted me out of his office.  So now they want to do a second debridment and keep a wound vac on for 6-8 weeks.  All along I have felt like I was having a refection to the allograft that was used.  Please let me know what has happened with your out come.