Orthopedics Community
Achilles Tendonitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Achilles Tendonitis

I believe I have achilles tendonitis in the back of the heel.  Whenever I am active, such as play soccer, it hurts when I play, but it is bearable.  Then after I sit down and rest for 10-15 minutes or so, my heels tighten and I just have this unbearable pain if I try to walk.  It eventually calms down, but it takes a good 30-60 minutes from that point.  Walking up and down stairs has started to hurt the injury.  The back of the heel is very sensitive, and it hurts if I were to press down on the heel with my finger.  This has been going on for about 2 months.  

Has this gotten to a point where I need to see someone have have it thoroughly checked out, or can I continue to take Motrin and ice it and hope for the best.  Can this become a more chronic injury if I don't fix it now?

Thank you,
Darren
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Chronic achilles tendonitis may follow on from acute tendonitis if it goes untreated or is not allowed sufficient rest.

You are advised to rest and apply cold therapy.
Wear a heel pad to raise the heel and take some of the strain off the achilles tendon. This should only be a temporary measure while the achilles tendon is healing.

If this does not work you have to see a sports injury professional who can advise on treatment and rehabilitation.

Take care!
I'm not sure if this will reach Dr. Vinod but maybe indirectly it will but please see my post of yesterday. I have had left Achilles tendonitis for 3 months now and I am told cold treatment is only good for reducing swelling and pain and should only be used for first couple of days.  Because it restricts the healing effect of what small blood supply there is to the tendon.  I am now 3 months with this condition and my left (back) ankle is twice as thick as my right side and I am right handed/footed. I now have orthotics for to help prevent future injuries (I have very high arches). Is there any professional or patient with specific experience with Achilles tendonitis, precise treatment and length of recovery?