Achilles Tendonitis??
I'm trying to determine if I have achilles tendonitis, or some other injury. I was backpacking three weeks ago and started having pain in the back of both my heels. I have used my boots for a couple of years and have done backpacking trips much harder than this one quite recently, with no heel pain ever. I put some padding on the back of both heels. One started feeling better and the other one continued to hurt with every step. I don't have any visible bump on the back of my heel, have not had any swelling (even during the backpacking trip), and do not have any visible bruising in the area.

It's now three weeks later, and I still can't put a shoe on my injured foot (the other foot feels just fine). There is absolutely no pain in my foot when I'm doing anything, as long as I'm wearing a flip flop. The moment I put a shoe on (either my tennis shoes or my boots), I get severe pain at the very top of my heel where the achilles tendon attaches to the heel bone - the pain starts the instant my shoe hits my heel. I don't have to move my foot around for it to hurt; the pressure from my shoe just from having it on my foot is painful. When I push on the back of my heel, I don't feel any pain; I have to push down on the very top of my heel (I suppose this is pushing the achilles tendon onto the top of my heel bone) in order to feel any pain. Unfortunately, any shoe I try on pushes in this exact place and it's instantly painful. Not sure if the pain gets better once I'm warmed up; I can't bear to have a shoe on my foot long enough to find out. I've tried putting padding on the back of my heel so I can wear a shoe, but it only puts more pressure on the spot that hurts, so it's been nothing but flip flops for three weeks.

I'm getting pretty concerned that it's no better after so long, and I'm supposed to go on a short backpacking trip in a couple of days (I'm planning on cutting the back off of my tennis shoe so that I can bear to have it on my foot). I'm living in Chile right now and don't think that the local doctor would be able to do an MRI or anything fancy like that, so I'm trying to sort it out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!