Orthopedics Community
Achilles Tendonitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Achilles Tendonitis

After a backpacking trip this weekend i've developed pain, swelling and redness in my left achilles tendon.
The trip was on Friday and Saturday where about 10 miles up and down hills were hiked at a fairly strenuous pace, it was also the first trip of the year.  There was never a popping or sudden onset of pain, but more of a burning that i figured was a blister forming. On Sunday I noticed a rubbing sensation as i would raise and lower my foot, at this point I realized my tendon was probably swelling. By Monday redness had developed and the swelling was getting worse. By now (Wednesday) the 4 inches or so from the base of my heel up my achilles is a dark red bruise.  I have been resting it as much as possible and icing it a couple times a day.  There does not seem to be a limit in my motion however I have not pushed the limits for obvious reasons. Raising and lowering my foot while sitting does not cause any pain.

Does this sound like a normal case of tendonitis or could this be more serious such as a larger tear or partial rupture?  Most of the people that I've talked to about tendonitis (friends and family) have never seen the visible color change that I am experiencing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi Dear,
             It seems to be a case of Acute achilles tendonitis due to overexertion.
Achilles tendoinitis can be acute or chronic. Acute achilles tendinotis may happen as a result of overuse as in your case.
Symptoms for acute inflammation of the Achilles tendon are:

Pain on the tendon during exercise.  Pain  gradually comes on with prolonged exercise  will goes away with rest.
Swelling over the Achilles tendon.
Redness over the skin.
Sometimes creaking on pressing the fingers into the tendon and on moving the foot. Chronic achilles tendinitis  often follows  from the acute  if the acute tendon injury is not treated properly or allowed to heal.
You should-
Rest and apply ice (not directly onto the skin).
Wear a heel pad to raise the heel and take some of the strain off the achilles tendon.
Take some NSAID to relive pain.
See a orthopedic surgeon  or a sports injury professional if the pain persists.
All the best.