Orthopedics Community
Achilles heel pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Achilles heel pain

I have had achilles tendon pain for approximately one year, and am looking for a solution. The pain is  located at the base of my heel, right where the muscle joins the bone. Before this flared up I used to go running regularily, biking, and enjoyed hiking. Now I can't do any of that due to the irritation it causes. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't walk without it really hurting- at these times it is warm (inflammed) and I sometimes feel a tingling from my heel to my toes. My doctor tells me my tendon is not ruptured, and we've already tried ultrasound, and shock-wave therapy. I try and ice it regularily, don't do activities like running (or even unnecessary walking) that hurt, and stretch when the tendon is not too inflammed.       I think it may be bursitius, and/or a heel spur.
          Any suggestions on natural medications I could take to help re-generate the tissue? Or other options? I am going to go back for another round of manuel therapy, and look into acupuncture. Any advice would be welcome- I a young, formerly-active young woman and this is really decreasing my enjoyment and quality of life. Please help!