Adult Head/Skull and soft spot similiar to a newborn child.
I have this soft spot that I never noticed on my head. It's similiar to when a child is young/born and they have 'soft' spot(s) on the head. For a long time now, I have had major headaches that just won't go away and also I do have a lot of stress. I am not sure if all this is related to the bad allergy/sinusitus problems that I live with.
I'm a 32 yr old female and I noticed my flat spot probably when I was a teen. I may have had it all along but never noticed until I started doing my own hair often as a teen. As I got older I started to notice that it was soft and tender to the touch usually when I have slept on it wrong or tied my hair too tightly.

I have had headaches as far back as I could remember..probably around the age of 7 or 8. The headaches would be so bad that I could not see and I was very light sensitive. I classified my headaches into two different types... the bad painful migraines (that could last for days)  would often happen on the left side of my head and my eye would just feel like popping out. The other type was behind my head where my soft spot was which happened usually if I slept on it or put pressure on it. By the time I was in my 20's, I got a job in a hospital which was the perfect opportunity to find out what in the world was going on with me. Mind you by this time it was not unusual for me to go through a bottle of Excedrin in one week. It really was scary!

It took months of running different tests and doing a CT scan. My CT scan was clear, however they found that I had extremely high blood pressure and probably had this my entire life. Mind you I was 23 yrs old at this point. I've been on hypertension meds ever since and will be for the rest of my life. I was slightly overweight as a kid, athletic as a teen (5'4" 118-125lbs), and back to my weight as a kid when I was in my 20's (5'4" 140lbs). I've had to really revamp my life and learn to decrease my stress levels and improve my health. It was not magic and didn't happen overnight, but gradually I have learned to manage my headaches. I only have them occasionally now and have not had the types of headaches I used to have for about 6 years now. I also owe a lot of credit to a Holistic Health class that I took in college on "mind over body". I know it sounds corny but I was actually a Finance major and it was a class I took on the whim...boy was it worth it!

Long story short...back to the soft spot...please don't freak out and think the worse scenario. There are so many causes for headaches and it is frustrating no one has the answers.  If there were answers, then there would be cures for headaches, right? Everyone is different and headaches can be caused by a million different things including sinus problems/allergies, high blood pressure, genetics, etc. In most cases, it is a combination of factors as with me.

I still can't pinpoint what caused what..the headaches, the blood pressure, genetics, weight problems, allergies, my diet,  etc...I've given up trying to figure it out because a doctor can only speculate what the causes are and a lot of it is trial and error. As a certified medical assistant myself, I suggest to everyone that you take advantage of your medical insurance or any access to medical you can get to make sure you are screened for the important stuff - a full physical, a full blood work up, and a referral to a neurologist (which I got). Be brave...honestly you have to take charge and be a ***** if you have to be to get answers you need.

Once you get the clean bill of health from your doctor, begin to keep logs of symptoms you may have including time, place, day, location. If there is a pattern, there may be a solution. ( I lived in a very foggy city for a couple of years during which my headaches were the most debilitating. I moved away to a sunnier place and improved 10 fold. Occasionally when it is overcast my head WILL hurt and I'm always prepared for it). Check with family members to see if there is any history of medical issues. (My dad had a stroke and has had hypertension issues forever). And last, the best way to aid any type of health problem you may have...even mysterious ones...is to revamp your lifestyle! It genuinely is like a domino effect (your body) and I've learned in my class that when you aim to improve your entire self and control your body, the stress goes down, the headaches decrease, the blood pressure improves, your mood goes up, body aches less, etc. In the end it really doesn't matter whether the headaches caused the stress or vice versa. In general good things you do for yourself affect your body as a whole.

Hope that gives people some ideas. Sorry for the blatant Holistic Health promo lol. I'm not usually a believer in all that mumbo jumbo but it helped me quite a bit. As for my soft spot..it still is tender when I touch it hard but my CT's were fine so I'm not too worried now that my headaches seem pretty unrelated to the spot. Since so many of us have this "problem" I guess we are just special.
Why dont doctors have more information on this?  It seems quite common and it gives people anxiety.  Although I think I need to see a doctor about mine because its pretty big, and there is a indentation that runs from the dent to the top of my head.  Its really painful too.  I have had it since i can remember and the thing is, is that when I was four my dad (who is mentally ill and had violent out bursts) threw me across a room and I hit my head really hard on a wooden chair and Im wondering if this has anything to do with it.  I have headaches almost every day, but I also have TMJ thanks to my dad.  When I ask people about the flat spot and they feel it they get grossed out and freak out...even my fiance.  I have had a lifetime of difficulty learning, and paying attention and I guess like everyone else im just looking for answers.  Thanks if anyone can help me!
I have a soft spot in the middle of my head also,actually its a dent.Wen u press or play wit it for too long i start to get migrains,not only i cut my hair in september,and now its starting to grow alittle but barley.I dont know wat the problem is but i think its getting worse
I am a 51 year old female.  Picture of health, except for now I've found this spot and combined with head aches, memory blips, sometimes I can't find my words or remember names (early onset alzheimer scary stuff), blurred vision that comes and goes.  I made the appointment today.  I recently accepted a very stressful position and I am in great hopes that I'm making much to do about nothing.....however, that spot was not there before all this crap starting happening to me.  My father died last year, he had brain cancer.  So, I am a little freaked.  
after months of waiting for mri scan results ,my doctor  told me the results showed two small gaps in top of  skull were skull hadnt fused together!   he  now wants to get another doctor to have a look at results but says that i shouldnt worry and will have more answers in a months time. i just want to know if this is why im getting cluster headaches, and terrible memory,also why is there not more information on this?
hi my15 year old son just brought this to my attention too as he has a soft spot on the back right hand side of his head too, he doesnt suffer from headaches or anything but itvseems very worrying so i am bringing him to our gp on monday and get some tests done as i have never heard of this before and just looked it up on the internet tonight. hope its nothing but its very alarming to me as i havent heard of this before ever.
Hi,you are doing right thing getting him checked at doctors. i had to see my doc a lot of times before i was taken serious,because basically no one (even doctors) seem to know a lot about this but as long as you persist,(i even printed information from the internet,such as this to show my doctor so they had better info on what i was worried about) then i was taken seriously. am sure he will be ok just for peace of mind best get checked.
Okay, just got back from neurologist.  Good news I don't have Alzheimers and there's no sign of cancer in my brain.  MRI results did show lacunar infarct pens (microscopic stroke),  I have a spot behind my left eye that I have to have checked out, the skull soft spot is still in question, looking at Paget's Disease, although my lab tests and x-rays don't indicate it   Still looking........  
In the area where you have your dent does your scalp feel abnormal as in wavy or lumpy. In my case the right side of my head where i dont have the dent the scalp feels firm and when i run my hand down it it feels normal but when i run my hand down the left back side of my head where i have the dent my scalp feels loose and lumpy and thick. Also at the top of my head where i have the dent it is slightly taller then the right side but it feels that this is so because of the thick scalp on that side of my head.
I hit my front part of my head into a door (near the hairline).  so hard, i was not sure what just happened.  a couple of weeks later i noticed a dent in the back of my head.  i dont think it's a soft spot because i can still feel my skull.  it is about the size of a 50 cent piece.  i have had severe head aches for 4 weeks straight.  no relief.  i have had an mri of brain, ct of head, xray and mri of neck.  nothing showing up concerning this new discovery.  in lots of pain.  will be getting other opinions this week.
I have the same problem. Mine started two months ago. It's kind of hard for me to miss since I shave my head. I stopped eating meat 4 months ago. Animal fats are how we get vitamin A&D, essential for absorbing calcium. I'm assuming that my little trip down "meatless" lane has led me here. I will start supplementing with a better multi-vitamin. If that doesn't do the trick I will have to resort to eating meat. I'm not letting this get worse.
Im 23 and I to have and indent ontop of my head it starts from the top of my head. 3inch long and 2inch wide and kinda deep.  I noticed it about 6 years ago, but its gotting way bigger .  I just started to get really bad headaches every day they never go away.  I have also been getting dizzy and having a hard time remmbering things, also my eyes feel like they are puffy from all this pain..  I cant see a doctor yet because I dont have any health care.  Its scarry because its getting bigger and im in more pain..  wish i new what it was......
Mannn this **** is weird that so many ppl have the same issue... I have a lil dent to and I also have blurred vision and migranes.. it is so so scary at times I wish I knew wat it was.. Dr. Said its muscle strains and my neck Dats causing the headaches... Idk.. I pray for the best and prepare for the worse
If you have a soft spot just like a babies. I am 21 yrs old and i get a massage from my mother she knows how to massage my head and it feels better. Its a midwifes tale but it works. I have seen plenty of doctors no reall response. Soft spot is something you have since your a baby so its not something you just got its very long term. As an infant your cranium may not have completely close and forms this soft spot that is sensitive. Causes headaches and loss of appetite or it may be difficult to swallow. If you have this always consult your doctor. Also if  the roof of your mouth is sore or you feel like its dropped like a lump on the roof of your mouth this is an indication of a fallen mollera. Its due to rough movement with your head due to your soft spot being sensitive to movement you will suffer from this as well. but what helps is to not pull your hair when brushing, do not lay on high pillows when you sleep or suck out of straws or on lollipops for it causes suction creating more pressure. Hope this helps.
im 16 and I've had this soft spot in the upper middle of my head for as long as I can remember. The soft spot is pretty big to me (about the size of my pulm and the start of my fingers). I showed it to my parents and they seem not that much worried about it. I am alittle young but for what I have read it's suppose to disapear a yr after your born. So im sitting here thinking wth happen to me? Am I a late bloomer or something.....all though Im FAR past late. I do get migraines but so does my mother. And I also have ALLLLLOOOOOTTT of allegies but I dont think that has anything to do with the soft spot on my head. I cant tell you if it is tender to the touch because I just got my hair braided and...well my whole head is tender at the moment but I would surely check when it loosens up alittle. So really can a dr or a speciales please comment and tell me wth this is????????
I just found that soft spot on the back of my head too. When I sit on the bed with my laptop I rest my head on the wall, and it's right where this soft spot is. Today it's sort of achy. I'm seeing that most of the other people on here have headaches, and I have horrible migraines. I wonder if they are related somehow.
as i have seen their are many people with this issue i am 25 a mother of three and stay very active i noticed the spot around may of this year i have sever migranes my nose will start bleeding out of the blue and now the spot is getting bigger and kinda making a line down the back of my skull i cant even lay on my back because it hurts to touch it could it be just the allergies i have moved to a new state and i think it might be just getting use to the evironment but my head kills me i have seen a dr and they did a scan and didnt seem to worry about it but is their anything i can do for the headaches instead of just taking some tylenol and migrane meds
Hello I am 28 I have recently noticed a soft spot in the middle of my head and it seems like it's getting worse I often have headaches and if I touch it my head also hurts I see that these poste r from 2011 it is now 2016 I was wondering if anyone had any information other than what they have posted and how is the soft spots now thanks
Everyone has these "soft spots".  They are normal...do a search for pressure points on the head. They are actually pressure points that you can press to help your headaches.  You headaches are not caused by them but people with migraines probably notice them more because when we get one we will rub our head...so we are mire likely to feel these contours on our head.   Google pressure points on head.  If you have continuous symptoms or blurred vision / dizzy spells you need to be seen by a physician.  Noted all the above symptoms can be relates to migraines as well.
I've got a soft spot on the left top middle part of my head!!! I just found it when I had a sudden burning feeling I touched it and it felt like a hole! It really freaked me out! Now it's hurting me maybe because I keep poking my fingers in! I'm scared to see the doctors! Does anyone know what this is yet? Please.
I just came back from the doctor about the same type of indentation you are describing.  She explained it was like a baby's soft spot but nothing to worry about.  I mentioned that if I put pressure on it, it caused pain.    She said that the skin covering there is not as thick and for me NOT to press on it.  She also said that taking Xanex would help the area relax.  I was very worried when I discovered the dent, knowing it hadn't been there before, but I am now reassured that nothing is wrong.  Of course I had feared the worse and thought the dent was a rarity as I had never heard anyone else mention it, but I see now from these posts that it is common.
hey i am a 23 year old male, healthy.  I have a dent in the back of my head to where the fontanelle would be.  I dont have headaches and i want to get this thing cosmetically filled in. how can this be done and where do i go to start this ?

thanks really want to fix this thing so i can shave my head and feel proud!
Wow I m16 and I have this soft spot too. Im kinda worried now im, I never get headaches but my symptoms are similar to those listed here.I have a 2inch flat spot on the top if my head,and its kinda soft and sensitive.I never thought any thing of it because my dad has the exact same thing
Okay so I'm 15 and the back of my head is  TOTALLY FLAT. I mean It's like the back of my head is a cliff. Please is there any way to make the back of your head not flat anymore I get made fun of all the time and everytime I look at myself sideways in the mirror it puts me in a bad mood. I want the back of my head to have a curve. I heard that baby's heads are soft when they are first born and stay that way for a year, and that they need to wear a helmet to keep the curve in the back of their head and/or sleep with their heads sideways. I've been on a bunch of web questions posted by people with the same issue as me but I REALLY need help. Is there any thing that can temporarily make your head cartilage soft so you can reshape the back of your head or something? Please I'm desperate. Thanks for reading and/or answering.
I have just found a soft on my head and Googled and this came up. It was making my head hurt when I touched it and it felt as tho I had a mosquito bite(bump) right in the middle of the soft spot. My head is shaved so put an ice pack on it for a couple of minutes. As I am typing this and feeling for the same spot..it is not soft and the pain has faded significantly. I have suffered from migraines since I was about 10, I'm 30 now. It freaked me out and I'm kinda worried. I'm amazed how many of us have similar things happening to us. If anyone finds out anything please post. I know I'm 4 years late but an issue is an issue. Good luck to us all.
I have a similar are on the back of my head & I also experience the "black out" feeling.  The "black out" feeling could be related to postural hypotension related to reduced fluid intake.
I'm a 34yr old black female. I always knew I had a dent in my head but never knew what it was. I saw my dic this year and they told me I have a hole in my skull that never closed. My brain is only covered by skin. I was just thinking I survived  8 yrs in army, 1yr in Baghdad, 2 brothers, rape, and abuse, hair pins from hairstyles, and a brain AVM and not once did my brain get injured.
I know this is an old post, but my mom sounds like she has something similar. she is geting a cat scan, but what happened with you.  Hope all is well!
I have had a soft spot on the back of my head from birth I am 55 now and still have it and never had any problems
have you figured anything out? my son has this!
I have a soft spot or indentation i noticed about 6 month ago on the top right rear of my skull. about 1 inch behind my ear and 3 or 4 inches up. my right ear seems to ring sometimes too. I have also had sinus issues for the past year or so and I'm beginning to think the sinus pressures are affecting my skull. I am going to a doctor soon for a CT scan and am going to do a nasal cleanse i found online that involves distilled water, sea salt, collodial silver, and chlorophyll. I am almost positive it has to do with the sinuses because after a day when i got into a huge screaming argument my sinuses were horrible as hell and the dent got a tad deeper and wider, scaring the **** outta me and forcing me to go to a doctor. No results yet, in the middle of changing docs because the last one knew nothing helpful.
BUT... I have also been lactose intolerant for the past few years too and am thinking the decrease in calcium and vitamin d might have been a contributing factor. I do tend to get very dehydrated sometimes too, and i know there are many fluids and layers in the skull. there is a layer of protective tissue UNDER the skin, but OVER the skull, and I am wondering if this is the layer that is being affected.
the dent sometimes painfully tingles, gives me goosebumps all over and just makes me mentally sick.
I'm almost positive this is all sinus related, I never had these issues before hanging with a friend who has horrible sinuses. I am 25 yr old male, skinny but I am healthy. it also feels like i have some kind of a knot forming down by the base of my skull in the same area, and after just barely pushing and messing with both for a while, my sinuses are now acting up, ONLY in my right nostril. WTF... i'm gonna go drink a bunch of lactose free milk, do a sinus cleanse to rid of all bacteria, clean the hell outta everything i own, bathroom, new toothbrush, new pillows... i was even thinking it could have been scalp ringworm so i tried putting creams on my dent and it didn't do anything. I have even thought of maybe I have parasites, as i occasionally eat sushi and I have heard horror stories of brain parasites and the issues they can cause. Anyways, I hope some of this info helps somebody and I'm comin back here once i get my CT scan and rest my worries that i have a brain cyst or something like "water on the brain"
Oh yeah, I also had a ton of tests ran recently for some GI issues and my blood tests came back negative for anything so that made me feel a ton better... best of luck to all, and if you have sinus issues, time to look into cleaning that huge hole in your head that makes up our sinuses.
If you are suffering from headaches or migraines, find a good Bowen Therapist and ask them to use the Migraine Procedure developed by
Peter Short of New Zealand. It solves migraines all the time.

I am a 33 year old female. My soft spot seemed to just appear a few many years back. It is on the crown of my head (parietal lobe). It is egg shaped and approximately egg sized, as well. I am definately not able to touch it. When I do bump it directly with any force I get an instant concussion, puking, loss of balance, and all. Even barely rubbing it will make my stomach turn & I'll feel nauseous for a good many minutes. I have definately had numerous blows to the head throughout my life, although I've never gone to the hospital for them, concussion or not.  It would not surprise me to learn I had  had multiple, minor skull fractures throughout my life, but this is different. It just seemed to appear one day. I tend to half-joking, blame it on aliens though, this truely would not surprise me either.
I have a sensitive spot on my head that is tender to the touch, gives me major headaches and I can't concentrate well. Especially if I bump it or even massage it.
This is really scary how many of us are going through the same thing. I noticed that I had a dent on top of my head a few years ago but thought it was from wearing my sunglasses on top of my head for too long. I changed that idea when it was still there the next day. Now years later I've been having issues with daily headaches, sudden depreciation in vision including night vision, gait issues, anxiety and extreme exhaustion. I noticed that the dent got bigger and deeper and more tender too. I don't like nor trust the doctors where I'm currently living they all seem to have graduated at the bottom of their classes no lie. It's truly scary and unnerving. I wish we had some answers here but as weird as it sounds, it's kind of comforting, (but not really) to find out that I'm not alone with this issue.
I just started noticing my soft spot on my forehead. I'm a 28 year old healthy female.  I received a  reflexology massage last year and I remember the massage therapist push hard on my forehead.  I didn't notice the indentation until I took a rent picture weeks ago.  I'm scared... What if he caused it? I don't usually get headaches,  but I do have a high stress,  fill my calendar with multiple tasks type of life style.
Its ok folks its the next evolutionary step for the human . We have genes that can be turned on or off. The next step is full head development .My head is opening up at the back of my head as well ,its now 4 inches long and about an inch wide.Its caused by the pineal gland turning on and causing a release of a hormone that melts the skull so the head can expand.
You just have to look at the skulls they have found from ancient civilisations to see that it has happened before.
Other symptoms you may get is a tingling feeling in your hands, we call that the fizz. Thats ok as well it is also a healing force.Also you may find increased clairvoyance and a  sense of well being.If you want to know more best contact the Emin society which has been  into this stuff for years and years.
I was told by some Chinese traditional masseur about d soft spots behind my skull. It's somewhere near the bottom of the skull area and it is the whole bottom where I often get headaches which started from the shoulder , neck and up to my head usually one sided sometimes both sides. My left side feels bulge like some nerves were bulging out when the headache presents. Otherwise it's just some small bulge which also could be felt with hands, none of the specialists know what's wrong and I've been seeing chiropractors for 2 years now for my sudden weird symptoms - dizzy, blurred vision, head feels heavy n filled with water feeling, shoulder and neck pain + discomfort of my stomach and nausea.

Stomach discomfort n nausea were gone now, dizziness has improved though not 100%. And now getting massage therapy for my muscles by a Chinese traditional masseur, and he was concern of the soft saclp at the back of my skull. And told me in their believe its water / fluid that had been stucked or blocked it for a long time. I forgotten what's the term of it, u know there's a layer of thin protection for our brain what's that call? From my Chiro point of view is that my cranial bones have shifted slightly of coz, that caused the fluid to stuck there not able to flow properly hence I get headaches n dizziness and sinuses problems. In Chinese tcm point of view, they called it rheumatism? Something like water accumulated at the back of skull - which was due to wet hair, and the body system not able to drain the fluid properly down, well both western n eastern had similarity when they explain to me It seems like they came down to the cause - water - and the combination of both their explaination makes good interpretation.

How to help - get ur cranial bones adjusted by professional chiros. Some do cranial therapy and each time cranial work really helped! The root cause is likely due to trauma to the head before, that caused the bones to be easily shifted, be it a small fall or blow to the head or spine.
Oh ya and maybe some good traditional masseur could help? I guess they are all related - muscles, nerves, bones, spine, ligaments and tendon. They all need to be functioning well in order to support the spine hence the brain could receive good signals to inform our body of what to do.
I've had the same thing at the very top of my head...soft spot and while painful it's sore. I don't get headaches and have normal stress but it's like an 8th wonder ...what is it... it's just not normal.
This forum is only making me more worried.
Did you have the ct scan? What did you find out?  I have chronic headaches, blurred vision , vision disturbances and just found a dent in my skull that feels like a soft spot.  I was wandering if you could enlighten me.
     thankyou for giving the metaphysical explanation...I agree...I recently noticed the posterior fontanelle..and in some folks its more open...I believe it means we are more open to higher Self and subtle energies, and we need to protect it more to avoid stress and headaches..  grow hair long and coil it on top of head where opening is....look at the yogis  they where turbans for a reason...do it at home instead.....this opening is our connection to God and our Godself..treasure it..cover it and slow down, meditate and relax

listen to your body...you can feel more bliss and joy then the average person if you dont mix in with all vibes, crowds, etc,   love self and spend time alone and in short periods of silence..we are evolving as a species and just have to cooperate with nature and the cosmos....It wants us to open and channel the loving energy..it has chosen you!   If you resist you will obtain headaches, etc.   Walk in nature and pray..feel gratitude, be near water...rest often   This is the Age of Aquarius  and time to wake up!!      The worst you can do to self is CT scan..huge dose of radiation to brain.!!..use seaweed to try to heal from CT and special clay baths to draw out poisonous radiation

Bless you all with open fontanelles...I have it too!

I hope  you don't have cancer but you can check out sahaja yoga , I personally used to practice it and I've heard people saying it's can cure such illness.It's free of charge and it's available pretty much everywhere.Google it if you want to find out more , I hope you are well .

Btw I've also found soft spot that is little sunk on the back of my head but I don't think it's something to be too worried about !
I am a 65 year old woman and just noticed within the last week that my skull has changed  - on the top of the head approximately 25% down the back of the skull there is an indentation / substantial that was not there a month ago.  It appears quite noticeable when I run my hand down the back of my head.  It appears to be soft; however, it is the actual indentation that is of concern.  Where can I go/what type of a medical professional should I see....generally in good health, active, etc.
My fiance has had a soft spot on the upper left side od her head since birth. Recently the Dr said there's fluid in it.  But she's having an odd feeling..like bees stinging her in that spot..and today that feeling has spread down that side of her head all the way to her arm. We'd lovery to know the cause but Dr's seem to brush it off like it's unimportant.
August 9th 2016 -

I've had this soft spot on my head it's a very small dent a centimeter maybe , when I dig my finger in it gives a strange pressure feeling quite strange ... But then the area swells and I get a very very light headache for a while until it's left alone .. Then I completely forget about it.. It is slightly worrying because it leaves me to believe I have a hole in my skull and when I press that hole it pushes into the insides of my head causing the area to swell and protect it self ... This must be the same as what baby's have and it did not heal entirely ... I guess we have to be careful to protect this area to a certain extent as the skull bone is not completely covering this spot ... It's ******* ******** man why me !
Google "hundred meeting point GV20" the small dent in the top back of your skull is a pressure point where 2 parts of the skull meet creating a small dent and softer area , babies have larger ones until they grow older , it is perfectly normal most people have just never realized they have it ..