Orthopedics Community
Am I getting the best care since I do not have insurance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have an avulsion fracture in my foot and a sprained ankle.  This injury occured of my own doing three weeks ago. I have a splint and have been on crutches.  Today I saw an orthopedic doctor.  They told me to limit weight bearing and to take the prescribed pain killers and swelling reduction medicine.  And to come back in two weeks.  I was under the impression that avulsion fractures usually required surgery and that sprains usually required some sort of therapy.  I do not have insurance and I am wondering if I am not getting the best care because of this fact?? Any imput?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!
Avulsion fractures when small then the best thing is to rest and immobilization for natural recovery. I want to add one thing here is that immobilization in a boot, cast or a splint is better for faster recovery.
Only with complications, non union, and completely displaced fractures you would need a surgery.
Take care!