Orthopedics Community
Anchors coming out after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Anchors coming out after surgery

I had surgery for a torn rotaor cuff and 3 opus anchors, manufactured by ArthroCare were put in.  After a few weeks they failed and came out of the bone, and I had to have another surgery to have them removed.  I am looking for anyone that might have had this happen to them, or someone they know.  I would also like to know if there are any Doctors that had this happen to thier patients or any of thier colleague's patients.
Anchors of this type are "made" to be removed after the rotator cuff heals and re-attaches.  Not all repairs allow for re-attachment of the muscles, so the anchors are left in.  There is generally a factory representative in the surgery with the doc to make sure the anchor is used properly and within the specifications of the model anchor used. Since the anchor is made to be removed, it is not uncommon for the thing to "back out" and need to be replaced. If enough healing has occured, they are removed and not replaced. If your anchor was not replaced, use the utmost care in use of the arm for a while, about 6 months or so, to prevent re-injury.  It is very important to do range of motion and physical therapy for the entire time, even if you are feeling better.  hope this helps
These anchors were not put in to be removed later, the anchor failed, came out and cause another tear just 4 week after my surgery. I have checked with the FDA and there are many reports of these Opus anchors having this problem and the paient had to go back in to have them removed. The reports range from a day after to a year after the anchors were put in.
I'm sorry you had problems with the anchors, but what I am saying is that they are manufactured to be removed.  It is a design feature for them to work out of the bone as healing occurs. It makes removal easier. If they worked out after several weeks, they did what they were designed to do. It was not what was ultimately desired, but that is what they do.  If you are looking for others to join a possible law suit, then you should be aware that the things didn't malfunction unless they broke off. They "failed" in the purpose the doc had in mind, but didn't "fail" in the manufactured purpose. Sad, but true.  Good luck

This is not true...I worked for Arthrocare. Any soft tissue repair anchor wheter the OPUS or those from any manufacturer are NOT manufactured to be removed. In fact a great deal of time goes in to design to make sure they do not fail and come out. Anchors, especially the OPUS do have flaws that make failure/pullout more prevalent. There are now new anchor designs that are MUCH better than OPUS.
No anchor is ever put in bone with the intention to remove it later.  I work in this industry.  This product clearly failed or was put in improperly.  You have my sympathy.