Ankle Injury
Hi, two weeks ago I injured my ankle by falling from a height.  I jammed my entire leg into a rock on impact, and mainly the ankle was affected.  So, this is a compressive injury I would think.  The ankle itself was swollen and painful, and I couldn't walk on it without significant pain.  I went to the ER, and they x-rayed the foot and ankle and did not find a fracture.  He diagnosed me with an ankle sprain and gave me crutches and a splint.

For the next week or so, I worked from home and barely used the ankle at all.  After about a week the pain was mostly gone, and the swelling subsided after about 10 days.  At this point in time I have full ankle joint flexibility without pain, and I can walk in flat shoes without pain as well (haven't tried to run, too scared to try).

My concern is that I still have a pain with a) walking in any kind of shoe that has an elevated heel OR b) walking downhill.  The pain is very sharp - like a sharp twinge of pain - and is located in the ankle.  

My questions are:

1) What could the cause of this pain be?
2) It's been only two weeks, is it still too soon to worry?  At what point should I go and see an orthopedic doctor?
Hi there!

1. This is likely to be due to the injury and associated inflammation. Walking in heels isn’t advised since this would tend to put strain on the ligaments and prevent appropriate healing.
2. I would suggest giving it adequate rest for 2-4 weeks and if your continue to have discomfort; you may consider seeing an orthopedician.
Hope this helps.

Take care!