Ankle Sprain @ 6 Months
I sprained my left ankle 6 months ago.  I wore a brace for 6 weeks and had PT for 3 weeks.  At 3 months I had an MRI as I was still experiencing pain and swelling.  Here are the MRI details:

There is tearing involving the cranial fibers of the ATFL. There is diffuse thickening and signal abnormality involving the remainder of the ATFL consistent with tendinopathy.

There is a small amount of fluid within the tibiotalar joint space, tracking anteriorly at the level of ATFL tear. There is mild to hyperintense edema on the lateral aspect of the ankle.

My Dr. recommended more PT and 3 months to see if it would heal on its own.  I am still experiencing pain and ,at times severe sharp pains, that stop me dead in my tracks.  I'm going to schedule another appointment but I thought I would ask for advice/insight here in the meantime.  

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hello!

Sustained physical therapy and taking rest in between and not exerting yourself or not putting full weight on that ankle will be ideal.

Try to put more pressure on the opposite ankle, you can continue wearing the brace and also can use a walking stick.

Follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!