Orthopedics Community
Ankle bone separation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ankle bone separation

Yesterday, Friday 11/21, I was given the results of an x-ray for a sprained ankle. It turned out to be a bone separation. I can't see an orthopedist until Tuesday, is there anything I should or should not do in the meantime?
      Thanks for writing in.  Ankle bone seperation or in other words displacement of bones in the ankle joint leads to swelling, pain and inability to put weight on that joint.
Displacement or malreduction of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis leads to widening of the ankle joint space, talar shift and eventually arthritis at the ankle joint that can be debilitating to the patient and leave him physically crippled. Several methods have been described in the literature to stabilise syndesmotic ankle injuries. These include the use of cortical screws, bioabsorbable screws and suture-button fixation. Cortical screw fixation is the most commonly used option by surgeons.
It would be better to acess depending upon how much is the displacement. I would suggest to take the opinion of a specialist. But in the mean time it would be advisable to take rest, immobilize the joint and to reduce pain anti-inflammatory drugs would help.
Best.