Orthopedics Community
Ankle cast removal/foot discoloration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ankle cast removal/foot discoloration

Just got out of a cast (2 days ago) for a right medial mallelous fracture.  It did not have to be set.  Cast is off and I have the usual swelling & pain.  My question is should it be turning purple/blue with lightened splotches?  I have been icing & elevating (above heart) and color will subside back to 'normal' but once I'm up again, or it is hanging freely it turns severely colors and swells.

Is this normal?  I was only ever xrayed and never checked for any further damage.  

Unsure if this is normal.  
Avatar dr m tn
Yes this is normal, as the cast compressed your arteries and your superficial veins. The veins pumping out the blood to the heart against the gravity from feet is very difficult. So after removing the cast it takes some time in restoring of superficial circulation in the foot.
But if it does not decrease then you may have some infection or allergy, for which  you have to visit a skin specialist.
Take care!
Take care!
Avatar dr m tn
Take care!
Take care!
Avatar dr m tn
Take care!
Take care!
Avatar dr m tn
Take care!
Take care!