Ankle pain after acl reconstruction
I had my second acl reconstruction a little over a month and a half ago.  My inner leg has stayed numb since the surgery, my outer leg flucuates depending on the amount of swelling in my knee.  My ankle bone has been painfully sensitive to anything rubbing against it for weeks; however this past week at times, that area also hurts when i try to walk or just doing nothing.  Is this a normal part of the healing process?  Is there anything I can do to make this area less sensitive?
Have you found any suggestions or advice regarding your ankle pain? My daughter is in the exact same boat, with pain peaking at a 9/10 when up for more than 5 minutes. The doctor somewhat dismissed the pain at her 2 week checkup. Her knee doesn't give her any grief at all, but now she is afraid to get up and about as she gets "stranded" by the pain, too afraid to move once it starts.

bethy
The doctor pretty much just gave me some stronger pain medication for those times the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep at first.  When I questioned him about RSD, something I read about online which I had several symptoms of, he admitted that my pain is being caused by some nerve damage that occured because of the surgery.  My physical therapist agreed and mentioned the worse thing I could do was try to baby it by staying off of it altogether or going back to using my crutches as long as I wasn't experiencing pain in my knee.  I also started experiencing muscle spasms and stiffness in my lower leg which they believe are all connected.  They can't give me a time frame for how long the pain will last but it has gone away some as time goes by.  Unfortunately they told me at this point I need to try to just deal with the pain, continue my leg exercises and try to rub different textured items on my ankle to try to desensitive the area.  Hopefully your daughter's pain will go away as she heals.

Dee  
I had the same problem post surgery.  I went to an osteopath for some manipulation.  he told me that I was irritating the peronial nerve.  I needed to do a lot of toes raises and stretching out of my ankle and then it went away.  My Pt and my surgeon just dismissed me complaints.
I had my first ACL/Meniscus reconstruction surgery about 11 months ago. It took me and while to start walking again, but even when I did my ankle was okay. The past month or so my ankle has given me more pain than my knee. The doctor said it could be from compensating with my ankle but it pops often and is in pain almost every day. My doctor has not been very helpful into looking into it, except for saying it could be compensation, but I'm not too sure.
I had ACL Surgery about a week and half ago. The swelling in the knee has gone down significantly, and the pain is not too bad. However, about 3 days after surgery me shin hurt very badly. I thought possibly it was infected. The doctor attributed it to blood flowing down from the surgery. The shin is feeling better, but now my after lying down or sleeping, my ankle aches, and burns inside with extreme pain. I imagine it is from the same source. After walking around a bit, or using the leg machine it subsides. After reading other post, I feel this is somewhat normal for some people.
Hey Bill, I just had Knee reconstruction starting with my LCL and MCL about 10 days ago. I'm recovering well, but experiencing very sharp needle like pains in my ankle and foot. For example today I went in for a checkup with my doctor and he dismissed the pains but as soon as I got off his checkup table on my crutches and down the hospital elevator to my Mom's car the ride home was unbearable with inner ankle pain. I will have another surgery in a month for my ACL and PCL. Since you are ahead of me in the recovery process have you figured out any relief or the source of the ankle pain? Thank you and I hope you are feeling well ! Dilian
I had ACL and meniscus repair surgury a week ago and this morning I woke up with severe and sharp pain in my ankle. It is more painful than my knee at the moment. I tried during the suggested toe raises and stretches for the ankle but it just causes extreme pain. Any answers of any type of relief would be helpful