Orthopedics Community
Ankle pain in a 10 year old boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ankle pain in a 10 year old boy

My grandson has a lot of pain in his ankles, he is involved in sports.  He is also very flat footed.  He has been to a foot specialist who gave him inserts for his shoes.  It helped for a few days, but the inserts seemed to flatten out.  Any suggestions?

This discussion is related to ankle pain,purple,and swollen for 3months.
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

You would need to change inserts with time and growth of your grandson regularly. He should also wear ergonomically proper shoes.

He can take occasional pain killers for pain and use ice packs regularly to decrease inflammation.

If symptoms continue follow up with a podiatrist.

Take care!
Avatar n tn
I would also consider looking into whether or physical therapy may help.

Good Luck,

achilles2
About how long should the inserts last?  What kind of inserts did you have in mind?   Also, when you say ergonomically proper shoes, what would this include?