Orthopedics Community
Ankle still swollen after sprain a month ago
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ankle still swollen after sprain a month ago

I sprained my ankle about bit over a month ago. I've done it three or four times in the past, so when it happened on the basketball court I didn't think anything of it because every time I had seen a doctor about a sprained ankle, they told me the same thing every time.

So I didn't see a doctor, I tried my best to stay off it for three days although I did walk a bit. I didn't have a choice. I worked on the fourth day after the sprain. If I recall correctly, after about a week I was walking normally. Yes, still with a small amount of pain but no limp was apparent.

Now, again over a month later, I'm still walking fine. I can probably run normally now though I haven't given it a try. Landing on it might still be a little painful, but I haven't done any of that yet. But it's still swollen. Is this normal? Do ankle sprains usually stay swollen for this long? Or is it the severity in my case? As I said above, I'm walking fine and am confident I can run. I'm wondering if I should see a doctor because it has been so long?

Today did some ankle exercises that I came across on the Internet like spell out the alphabet with the tip of my foot, and rotated my ankle in circles, both exercises for about 60 seconds each. Then I dipped my ankle in an ice bucket for about fifteen minutes, then took it out, and repeated the procedure about three times.

Any help would be appreciated!